Monday, March 7, 2011

Faith on our little island

Thank you for the package! It was wanting of any types of candy - a fact which I took in stride - but it did contain some really incredible little tidbits as well as homey odds and ends. Reading the calendar that actually has my going home date inside of it was something special and very weird. Elder Horn, my mission Dad, is going home this week - everything is flying too fast! I am currently wearing the CTR ring on my right pinkie. The books, posters, sweater, and key chains are all fabulous. Thank you :D.

Our over-all goal this year in baptisms is at this time 2045. Just in case you were wondering, this is huge! Just two years ago we only got 725 baptisms, and last year we only got 1200 baptisms, so this is a monumental jump from past goals. And ya know what the craziest thing is? We are currently holding onto where we are supposed to be in the progression towards completion of the goal. Here in Sabotsy Namehana we have gotten 8 baptisms, but in a couple of the provinces there are areas who have gotten over 20 in just two months! I'm no expert, so I won't be saying here what has been done differently now than before to cause this success, but I will say that it is pretty awesome to be a part of.

For me, however, and for other areas which I have seen, I can say that a major credit to the success has just been the simple belief in miracles that come through living, breathing faith. I am a firm believer in the scripture in James which goes "Faith without works is dead." The miracle-type of faith is only present when our works are of true worth and actually fruitful. If a person has real, genuine faith, then he will have a hope of his gaining salvation through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We can only have this hope if we are obedient to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. Our faith must be shown and sustained by our works if it is ever to do anything important. Let us continue to follow the counsel of Paul in
this, however, and not base worth upon our works or the works of another lest we be lead unto boasting of our own strengths.

Living faith is practically the most needed virtue. Satan will fail in the face of faith on our little island on the Indian Ocean.

I love you all and pray for you. Miss you guys! Have a great week!

Elder Cryer

No comments:

Post a Comment